From earliest times thinkers must have perceived that on the one hand they could not think without words; on the other hand, words expressed only half the whole truth.
– Frederick Franck (Zen and Zen Classics)

Books to Read  

RSS

Yugen
(@yugen)
Admin
13/05/2018 5:31 pm  

In addition to title and author information, please include a short review of the book you'd like to recommend. (Please do not post negative reviews on this site). 

ReplyQuote
AlexG
(@alexg)
14/05/2018 12:01 pm  

I've found an electronic copy of Kazuaki Tanahashi's Shobogenzo translation (well, he edited it - it looks like different people oversaw each chapter), and the English is so clear and concise that all the other translations I've seen now look awkward in comparison. For example, just look at the way different people translated the title of one section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keisei_sanshoku_(Sh%C5%8Db%C5%8Dgenz%C5%8D)

From what I've read, almost every sentence in Tanahashi's version is like that - much more direct and clear to read somehow than all the other translations. I don't know if there are any drawbacks to his style; maybe he's losing some of the subtleties of the original... but so far for me it seems the easiest to just pick up and read.

Yugen liked
ReplyQuote
Yugen
(@yugen)
Admin
14/05/2018 1:50 pm  

Thanks, Alex. Do you think you could attach the digital copy of Tanahashi's translation or the link to it? I'm looking for a full translation. 

Is there any commentary with that one? Just curious....

ReplyQuote
AlexG
(@alexg)
14/05/2018 3:34 pm  

Why don't I just try to share my whole Dropbox folder with Buddhism e-books...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wd9gano0v40v57i/AABiq_BxAwYHGR67Ka62hjqka?dl=0

see if that works. Maybe it's not very morally pure to share this, but on the other hand I doubt anyone goes into Zen scholarship and/or translation in order to get rich?

Yugen liked
ReplyQuote
Yugen
(@yugen)
Admin
14/05/2018 6:35 pm  

That opened no problem. Wow what a windfall. Now i need to think of an organization scheme for our growing library. Thank you! 

ReplyQuote
Share: